MESA mission statement
MESA Magazine is a digital platform dedicated to celebrating culture, sex, fashion, and politics in Middle Eastern and South Asian (MESA) communities, for all to explore. Our philosophy is that Middle Eastern and South Asian writers should be able to write about more than just race and cultural identity, despite the fact that this is what editors mostly commission us for.
Posts on the MESA website are helpful, not self-promotional. No jargon or corporate speak. Keep it interesting and conversational.
The audience is creatives and intellectual millennials. What are they going to get out of your post?
The following are required material for MESA
- Topic. Your topic must be relevant and targeted toward our audience. Strive to write the best post on your topic ever published on the web. Also, make sure we haven’t covered your topic before.
- Research. Do your homework. Link to reputable sources. Use data and statistics to back up your claims when necessary. You must speak to at least one source depending on the article.
- Keyword. Your chosen keyword should be well-aligned with the search intent behind your topic.
- Comprehensiveness. Cover your topic in whole. Don’t leave out any steps or information that are necessary for readers to apply your advice. Ideally, a reader should fully understand your topic, without needing to read another post.
- Your pitch should be no more than 200-250 words and set out clearly (avoid long paragraphs).
- Once the pitch is accepted, will send you a maximum word count to adhere to.
Format for sharing:
- Share a Google doc and use the font Calibri, size 11.
Paragraph length and spacing:
- Keep paragraphs short and snappy.
- One space after the period philosophy, not two.
- Use headers and subheaders to break up your post.
- Avoid big blocks of text.
- When writing headlines be specific and indicate a benefit to the reader.
- Type in numbers up to 9, then spell out numbers in words e.g. ten.
- Casual, witty, smart.
- Can use slang – although there has to be a limit.
We may edit your post or send it back to you for revisions. We may edit text and links that are not relevant to your post. Sometimes scheduling may change.
We ask that your article not be published elsewhere previously, or simultaneously.
We will liaise with you on a deadline date once the pitch is accepted.
Please plan to promote your post throughout your social networks. The time frame and schedule are up to you.